If you are a senior age 65+ or a person with a disability and pay rent or share rent for an apartment, a cooperative, congregate housing, subsidized housing, or for a rooming house, you may be eligible for the RENTER’S REBATE PROGRAM. The application period is April 1 to October 1, 2016. The rebate amount you may receive is based on a graduated income scale and the amount of rent and utility payments you made in the PRIOR year (2015).
Who is eligible?
- Individual or spouse must be 65 years of age or older as of December 31, 2015.
- OR Renter must be 50 years of age or older and the surviving spouse of a renter who, at the time of death, had qualified and was entitled to tax relief, provided the couple was living together at the time of death.
- OR Renter must be 18 years of age or older who is permanently and totally disabled under Social Security Disability guidelines.
- Renters must have resided in the State of Connecticut for at least one year at any given time.
- Income Guidelines (no asset restriction) Single person $35,200; Married Couple $42,900
What documents should you provide?
- 2015 IRS Tax Return (if you filed)
- Proof of Social Security Income
- Proof of any and all other income (pensions, interest, dividends, etc.)
- W-2 form(s) if you worked
- All 2015 rent and utility receipts (or call Eversource and ask for printout for 2015).
- Proof of disability for those under 65 years of age.
For further information, contact Warren Social Services, 860-868-7881 ex 114.